First lines can literally make or break a book for you. I have multiple experiences where I would open a book read the first link and be like BLEHHHHH which would then continue on for the rest of the book (snd vice-versa obviously).
I’m not entirely sure whats the secret magic that makes memorable opening quotes so bloody memorable. Perhaps its the shock factor, usually saying something outrageous (as I will provide with examples soon) usually causes the reader to be like what a preposterous claim – gotta read more.
I don’t know what it is man, some opening lines just sink its long talons into your soul and drag you into the trash pile (i’m speaking from experience here.)
So enough talk, let’s list the top 10 best opening lines.
10. “Joost had two problems: the moon and his mustache.”
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
9.”Even before he got electrocuted, Jason was having a rough day.”
The Lost Hero by Rick Roirdan
8. “Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she’d been told that she would kill her true love.”
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
7. “The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.”
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
6. “This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.”
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
5. “My mother thinks I’m dead.”
Legend by Marie Lu
4. “So here’s the file that almost killed me, Director.”
Illuminae by Aime Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
3. “It is the first of November, and so, today, someone will die.”
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
2. “My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die. I counted.”
On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
1. “Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.”
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
That’s all I got for my 10 top opening quotes. I have to say it was harder than I expected. There are SO MANY incredible opening lines.
Which opening line is your favourite?
Until the next post